What do you need to think about if you are considering a career change?
- What are the reasons people come to us to make a career change?
People think other roles are more attractive. In these scenarios, you really need to have a good idea of what is needed and why you feel it is more attractive.
From a coaching perspective, we get to work with people more on career change and we see people who are deeply unhappy with their Manager or Company so they might be looking for more change of change or role. In coaching we see people who come to us believing changing career is a panacea for everything, but it can relate to something which is a lot deeper.
- People are interested in looking at what is out there as they have more time to research, to interview and to understand what they want.
People have reflected on what is important during the pandemic, so they are more focused on what is right for them rather than money.
- How would someone know they are making progress when they are looking at making a career change?
The passive approach is fine but realistically unless you have put a lot of time understanding what you want, you are less likely to get your ideal role. You should get a hand on:
- You know what you want to do specifically and why you want it?
- I know I do not want to do what I do at present, but I don’t know what I want to do – understand what you do enjoy in and out of work. Then understand the gaps between where you are now and where you want to go.
Depending on the size of the gap, figure out where you want to go versus where you are and these milestones in between are your milestones i.e. getting a professional qualification. The milestones, in chronological order are your measures, and you need some sort of timeframe.
- People unnecessarily put themselves into boxes but if you are prepared to do the work, you can absolutely achieve what you want to.
Speak with people in the field and figure out what they look for – are the soft or technical skills are more important? How can you demonstrate to someone receiving applications all the time, you are ready for the move – have something you can point to that is tangible and impressive.
For more information on this and other areas, check out our latest blogs: https://www.toptierrecruitment.com/blog